Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Journey Has Begun

I have decided to start a blog while I'm on this journey of weight loss. Normally, I like to keep my life fairly private, but I also realize that at least some of what I go through will be able to help others who are already, or contemplating, the same journey. We all have our different reasons for why we want, or need, to lose weight. I might be willing to post some of those reasons later.

Who am I? Well, I am a southern guy, in my late 40's who enjoys his typically southern foods. Sausage & biscuits, fried foods, meats, and sweet ice tea. I have also found in the past year that I enjoy making a pie from time to time. However, I don't enjoy cooking. I have been overweight more often than not since my mid 20's.

What caused me to start this journey this time (instead of just thinking about it)? Two things: 1) I was helping a friend with a project during a hot summer day and I got winded alot easier than I thought I should have and 2) while on a day hike I came across an elevation climb that just beat the crap out of me. Now my goal is to see an improvement this coming year.

The number on the scale has never bothered me. I always figured we are going to die someday anyway so why not eat the things I enjoy eating. However, there comes a point where you see that the excess weight and lower fitness level does affect some of your everyday activities, or prohibits or limits things that you WANT to do.

So - what does all of this mean? Change. It can be very hard to do, but if you want to reach your goals bad enough then you must be willing to make the sacrifices.

I welcome you to join me on the journey to a better life.

No comments:

Post a Comment