Monday, February 15, 2010

Reflections (cont'd)

When I was looking for a suitable substitute for my usual breakfast of 2 sausage biscuits I started reading about the health benefits of oatmeal. So - I gave it a try. Now it is my standard breakfast, along with a piece of fruit. I made the changeover about 5 or 6 weeks ago. Once a week I'll still allow myself one sausage biscuit, which has approximately 28 fat grams. This is in addition to the oatmeal and fruit.

With that changeover, and with reading in Bob Greene's book that we need to watch our fat gram intake, plus needing to have a minimum number of servings of fruit and veggies each day, I decided to start trying to find out more about the vegetarian lifestyle. I don't plan on becoming a total vegetarian, but I thought this would be a good avenue to research for recipes and health information.

We already had a book in the house titled "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Being Vegetarian". I've been reading through the different health benefits and haven't reached the chapters on how to implement yet. What I've read so far though is that most all of our nutrition needs can be gotten from plant-based foods. Another benefit in just keeping a food journal and checking the labels for nutrition values is that calories and fat grams are minimal. Which means that if you get hungry you don't have to feel guilty about eating a piece of fruit.

For the past couple of weeks I have already been trying to prepare meals that are more plant-based. In the long run this will make it much easier to live in the lifestyle of a thinner, healthier me.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the advice! I'll def be trying some veggies very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fruits and veggies are lifesavers for filling that little "void" in between meals. I like to put dried blueberries or dried pomegranate seeds in my oatmeal. Gives it a little crunch and extra flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been adding raisins the last few days to the oatmeal. Amazing the number of GOOD things you can add for a variety.

    ReplyDelete