Saturday, February 13, 2010

My First Real Test

These past couple of days have been my first real test. On the first day I had to attend a funeral. This was out of town and because of several circumstances it ended up being an all day affair that took me out of my regular routine. I didn't mind or fret because this is the way life works.

I knew that I would have to be making choices regarding my meals for the day. We ended up eating out twice during the day. Once was at a restaurant and the other was at a home after the funeral. Overall I did not do too bad on my choices, but it wasn't easy. At the gathering in the home the church members provided an over-abundance of dishes and desserts. My two big indulgences were a large piece of fried chicken (by habit) and two pieces of pie(by choice). First, let me say that the people who provided the food know how to cook! It was extremely tempting to eat more. Secondly, regarding me eating two pieces of pie - well, since I started making pies a few months ago, I do like to taste other homemade pies and there were plenty to choose from.

On the next day I found it extremely hard to think and act better on my nutritional choices. I was extremely worn out and decided to pop a frozen pizza in the oven for convenience.

We will all have days where it is difficult, if not impossible, to stick to a plan. Especially as we are first starting out and haven't really become familiar yet with the different options available to us. That's ok. We can take each opportunity to learn something new and reflect on what we could have done better. The point is not to beat yourself up over a bad day. Just get back on the trail and continue the journey.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, no one said this was gonna be easy. You'll get the hang of it, and then find out that instances like you mentioned are really difficult. You'll do just fine.

    ReplyDelete