Monday, February 15, 2010

Reflections

Today seems like a good day to start reflecting some on where my journey has brought me so far and what I have learned along the way.

When I started this journey about 2 1/2 months ago, my first goal was to just start exercising and worry about the food changes later. I joined the local gym and vowed to go at least three times per week. Since then I have, for the most part, gone every other day. My work is mostly on the treadmill for 40-45 minutes in zones 7-8.

Once I got in the habit of working out I knew that I would also want to start a change in my eating habits. This is going along very well, with the food journal being a key component. I am now regularly eating about 3 meals and 2 snacks each day with no foods 2-3 hours before I go to bed.

Shortly after I started this journey I reread a book that I've had on my bookshelf for a long time. It is the book by Bob Greene titled "Make the Connection". Yes, this is the one that was co-authored by Oprah. Frankly, I just skipped over what she had to say and mainly concentrated on what Bob Greene wrote. Here are the key points that I have incorporated:

1. Exercise for 20-60 minutes each session. He recommends working out every day. I have worked out every other day (minimum)since the end of November '09. I have worked up to 40-45 minutes.
2. Exercise in the zone at a level 7 or 8. When I work out I do try to keep on eye on my heart rate, but you do get used to what your body is telling you even if the treadmill you are on doesn't seem to have an accurate monitor.
3. Eat a low-fat, balanced diet each day. I have been a fast food and snacks person pretty much all of my life. Hard to change and keep things in moderation, but can be done if you have a true interest in changing. There are a lot of wonderful foods out there that are much better for you!
4. Eat three meals and two snacks a day. Keeps the hunger at bay. Some type of fruit or vegatable for the snacks helps to fulfill your daily serving requirements.
5. Stop eating two to three hours before bedtime. What a help this has been! I was so used to snacking on bad foods while chilling in front of the television in the evenings. And it was just mindless eating - I usually wasn't even hungry.
6. Have at least two servings of fruit and three servings of vegetables each day. Much easier to do especially if your incorporating them into your snacks.

These tools got me started on my journey and are a vital part of my backpack. I'll have other reflections during this week.

1 comment: