Friday, February 12, 2010

The Scale

The scale is a necessary tool in the backpack of this journey. Most fitness and nutrition (diet) experts that I've read or heard mention that you should only weigh yourself once a week or so. However, for me I found that I need to weigh myself every day - twice. Once in the morning, and once in the evening before bed.

Here's why: If I weigh myself only once a week then it becomes easy to accidently skip first one week, then more and more until it's been two or three months before I get on the scale again. Then I'll realize that I actually gained.

When I get on the scale each morning it is a reminder to me that I need to eat better nutritionally. If I don't get on the scale for awhile my taste buds and cravings might tell me that "you've been good, go ahead and have those sausage biscuits for breakfast and while you're at it, stop by the fast food place while you're out running around today and pick up that fried chicken sandwich and fries". Once I do give in to those cravings, then it becomes MUCH easier to start falling back into my old ways. And then I'm back to where I started - and then some.

When I get on the scale in the evening it is a very quick, cursory check to see how my body reacted to the foods and activity of the day. That way I am already thinking about if I need to try and add some additional movement or activity the next day. For me, it just really helps me to try and understand my body better.

It is important that you don't obsess on the scale and the numbers each day. However, if used properly as a tool then you can get a much better read on how your body reacts to your food and activity. There will be times where your body may be storing up reserves and therefore you might see a gain. Having been on the scale often then you have a better understanding of this for yourself and your own situation.

The scale is a wonderful, essential tool on your journey. Use it as little or as much as is fitting for you, but use it. And understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment