Saturday, February 27, 2010

No More Enthusiasm

Well, it's been over a week since I last posted. That was for a reason. You see, the initial enthusiasm of this journey has peaked and dwindled. I've gotten past the first few miles of go-go-go and had to get my mind fully wrapped around the fact that it is indeed a very long journey and that I need to pace myself. I knew it was coming so I was prepared for it. Although I tried to protect against it, the initial enthusiasm is a natural part of my DNA.

I just needed some time just to step back for a few days and re-evaluate what has worked, what has not, and where I need to make any adjustments so that I can reach the end of my journey with the minimum of bumps, bruises, and sprained ankles.

Things that I've had to think about before are now becoming second nature. This past week I continued my workouts, and my meals were mostly on the good side. However, I did gain a couple of pounds which I have since worked off again. Since I get on the scale a couple of times a day I was better able to keep the weight in check and get a better read on what might be causing the weight gain. Not all gains are due to the intake of the foods you eat. Some of it is just your body making adjustments. If I had not been on the scale each day, I could have easily gained more weight. The scale holds me accountable.

One thing that I think is working well for me is the 3 meals and 2 snacks each day. The emphasis on the 2 snacks makes it much easier for me to get more fruits and veggies each day. I also seem to do better if I don't eat at least 2 hours before bedtime. So now that it is becoming more of a permament change of behavior I am trying to look at ways to make it easier on those chaotic days where you don't know where you might be at any particular time.

One of the adjustments I need to make is to try to understand and incorporate the balance of proteins, good carbs, and fats. I want to make sure that I'm not only cutting down on the excessive calories and fat grams, but that I am eating foods that will give me the energy I need each day. It seems that I've had some days where I think I have been a little more sluggish than I want to be.

I'm adding a page tentatively titled "Goals". Feel free to take a look at it and make any suggestions. I have already added a page titled "My Backpack" which will contain a list of the tools and items that I have found that I need for my journey.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the words of encouragement!! I am ready to make this lifesyle change, so is my whole family. We are getting off the couch and turning off the TV and becoming active again. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete